There is always the tendency for us to get distracted in life. Our eyes will go off course when we are distracted and we lose focus. The Christian life is a walk with Jesus as our focus but the cares of this life and deceitfulness of riches makes us take our eyes off Jesus.
We read about how the wife of Lot became a pillar of salt. The wife of Lot looked back while journeying out of Sodom. Looking back meant that she lost focus and she eventually lost her life. By the time you look elsewhere, the man leading you has taken a turn and you lose direction.
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2).
Certain factors that make us lose focus
- The burden of God’s purpose for our lives
- We have some idols disturbing us
- The raging storms of life
- It’s all about our Goliaths and our Pharaohs
- We forget His testimonies
What it means to be focused on Jesus?
- It means you rely on Him
- It means you are not looking elsewhere
- It means considering and meditating on Him
- It means meditating on the victories He has wrought for you
- It means you are meditating on His words
Why should we look on Jesus?
- We look on Jesus Christ because of the people that have gone ahead of us. Heb 11:1-40
- Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of our faith; He will lead you into faith perfection. 1 Pet 5:10
- You look so you can imitate Him. John 20:21
- Grace for the journey ahead will come. 2 Pet 3:18
It is either your focus is on Jesus or away from Jesus. To look unto Jesus means you are not looking i.e. you are not looking at other things except Jesus. No other place or person to look. When you focus and walk with Jesus, you begin to think His thoughts and perceive His perceptions.
They looked unto Him and were lightened and their faces were not ashamed (Psalm 34:5). Whatever is bringing embarrassment and shame to you is because you are not looking enough. Keep looking on Him and other things around you will lose significance. You become who you look at.
– A message preached by Pastor Sola Akande