Pastor Alex Adegboye
Desperation is the recklessness brought on by great urgency and anxiety. It is an uncontrolled desire for needing or wanting something very much. Desperation does not work with God rather faith does. The bible says in Gen 30:1-2, that Rachel was so desperate to have children up to the point of losing her life.
And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.  And Jacob’s anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God’s stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?
In the book of Gen 32:22-32, Jacob engaged an angel of the lord all through the night in a bid to get blessed. This he did in desperation which caused him a dislocation in the joint at his thigh. This encounter with the angel changed his whole life because through it God dealt with the attitude of desperation in him. God wants us to be devoted not desperate so as to bless us. Those who serve God desperately never please Him. God expects devotion from us not desperation.
- God is not the one that is holding back from you. God is not your problem. Rom 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
- Desperation always produces desperation. Desperation can never be satisfied. John 4:21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
- God desires devotion because it is devotion that determines relationship. Your devotion to God is more important than the miracles you crave for. Material things don’t mean anything to God. God wants you.
Col 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Heavenly things are things you should desire the most. God desires your devotion. King Saul was so desperate to hear from God that he consulted a witch and ruined his life. The children of Israel in the wilderness were so desperate that they cried for meat that cost them their soul. Whatever God does not give you, you don’t need it.
Psalm 106:13-15 They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel: But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert. And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul.
THINGS THAT DESPERATE PEOPLE DO
- They offer wrong prayers.
- Their prayers keep pushing them around.
- Their motive is wrong, James 4:3
- They misuse and abuse their privileges.
- They do things that they shouldn’t be doing.
- They are always looking for short cuts. They want the blessings of God but they don’t want the ways of God.
WHAT GUARANTEES DEVOTION
- You live and walk by faith though you don’t have answer yet. Your answer is really not in desperation but in devotion. You live the life of faith by consistently studying and confessing the word of God. Heb 11:6 & 8, Hab 2:4
- The force of patience is needed in faith. Patience is a part of faith. God does not pay every moment but certainly He pays. You have to be patient to get anything you really want from God. You must be patient to see result. Faith never works without patience. James 1:2-4, Heb 10:35.
- There is a rest in faith. Let the word of God so rich in you till you come to your rest. When a lawyer has nothing more to say in court he says I rest my case, so it is in prayers. After praying and you have nothing more to say, rest your case with God. Heb 4:10, Isa 26:3.
- Devotion must be hundred percent (100%). Your dedication to God must be complete. Col 3:2.
LESSONS FROM THE BOOK OF GENESIS 32:22-32
- Jacob was crippled to be crowned as a testament to all desperadoes.
- God couldn’t bless Jacob until He changed him
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Whatever God does not give you, you don’t want it; whatever God cannot give you, you don’t need it.
God bless you.