Texts: Heb 4:1-16, Jeremiah 6;16
We live in a very stressful world, difficult and it is even getting so much so. Mental, physical and even spiritual stress, everywhere you go and everywhere you find yourself, you will discover that the world is increasingly difficult and dangerous. There is physical aggression from without, financial, economic and family stress within, uncertainty of daily living. If you sleep and you wake up the following morning and you are standing on your feet, you should be grateful to God wherever you live.
Things are hard everywhere on a global level. It is not only this nation alone it is just that it varies from society and community to community. Disaster of biblical proportion stare us in the face almost on a daily basis. In the midst of these, Jesus promised us rest and today I want to show you rest. I want to help you to enter into that rest.
Mathew 11: 28 Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. And in verse 29 take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest for your soul.
You need to look at these scriptures very closely. In verse 28 Jesus said I will give you rest and in verse 29 you will find rest. The first rest I n verse 28 is the rest he has given you as a gift, the second gift in verse 29 is a discovery. That is, you discover rest because he said you will find rest. It is the rest in verse 29 that I want you to find.
REASONS FOR UNREST
1. Sin is the mother of every unrest. The bible says that the wicked runs when no one pursues him but the righteous is as bold as a lion.
Proverbs 28:1 (KJV)
The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
Isaiah 57:21 (KJV)
There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.
Isaiah 48:22 (KJV)
There is no peace, saith the Lord, unto the wicked.
It is clear from the scripture that sin is the mother of unrest. Romans 5: I
We are justified. In view of the fact that we have committed sin we are not, but by faith in Christ we are. Where ever sin abounds there can never be peace. The bible says God was grieved with those who sinned.
2. Unbelief. Where there is unbelief, there can never be peace.
Hebrews 3:11 (KJV)
So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.
God swore in his wrath they shall not enter into his rest. And in verse 18, the reason he swore is because they did not believe.
3. Prayerlessness. People who don’t pray can never have peace.
Luke 18:1 (KJV)
And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
Jesus speaking concerning the parable prayer says that man needs to pray and not too faint or men need to pray and not do badly. When a man does not pray, he will not have what it takes to have peace. He will not have what it takes to be at rest.
Philip. 4:6 (KJV)
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
4. Doing your own things outside the will of God. You will not have peace in whatever you do that is out of the will of God. Many people of the world are lacking in peace because they are living the way they want.
Hebrews 4:10 (KJV)
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
5. Trusting in the arms of the flesh will make you lose peace. You can’t have peace trusting in man. Trusting in your ability and relying on somebody will make you lose your peace. There is no peace as a matter of fact for those who trust in the arms of the flesh. From the scripture, that person is under a curse. Jeremiah 17:5, God expects us to laugh and not to cry.
2 Kings 6:1 (KJV)
And the sons of the prophets said unto Elisha, Behold now, the place where we dwell with thee is too strait for us.
Psalm 2:1-4 (KJV)
Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?  The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying,  Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.  He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
Psalm 46:1 (KJV)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Proverbs 21:29 (KJV)
A wicked man hardeneth his face: but as for the upright, he directeth his way.
John 16:7 (KJV)
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Ephes. 2:8 (KJV)
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
HOW TO LABOUR TO ENTER INTO GOD’S REST
1. Discover that rest is available for you.
Hebrews 4:1 (KJV)
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2. Decide to trust in the love of God because God is a father and He is love. He is disposed to showing us mercy.
Romans 8:38 (KJV)
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
1 John 4:16 (KJV)
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
3. Disengage from your life style. Stop to carry your worries. 1 Peter 5:7. After you pray, change your looks or else you are still carrying your problems.
Ephes. 4:6 (KJV)
One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
4. Have faith in His promises.
Joshua 21:45 (KJV)
There failed not ought of any good thing which the Lord had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass.
Psalm 34:5 (KJV)
They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.
Isaiah 30:15 (KJV)
For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not.
5. Pray in the Holy Ghost. You will be refreshed if you pray in the Holy Ghost.
Enter into the rest of God. Stop labouring like those that have no hope. Ask for the old way, the way of holiness, the way of faith, and the way of rest in God.
– Pastor Alex Adegboye