God in His infinite mercy and eternal kindness has lots of blessings for His children in His plans. In spite of this, lots of Christians miss out in His bumper provision. What could be responsible for this disconnect? A common reason is fear. The fear of God brings wisdom, life and consecration. Anything other than these is demonic and ungodly. This is the kind of fear I will be emphasizing in this subject.The Shunammite woman had no child and by her act of kindness to Prophet Elisha, she received the Lord’s kindness and was blessed with a son. At a young age the lad died. It would be natural for anyone to scream in tears seeing her only child pass on. Instead, she replied every comment on the matter by saying, ‘It is well!’ If you are a child of God and do know the sincere promises of God for you, then your confession in the midst of the storm should be a loud and resounding “It is well!’. Faith is the panacea for fear; like the statement ‘it is well’ is a pacifier for stormy situations.
2 Kings 4:18-23, “And when the child was grown, it fell on a day, that he went out to his father to the reapers. And he said unto his father, My head, my head. And he said to a lad, Carry him to his mother. And when he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died. And she went up, and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out. And she called unto her husband, and said, Send me, I pray thee, one of the young men, and one of the asses, that I may run to the man of God, and come again. And he said, Wherefore wilt thou go to him to day? it is neither new moon, nor sabbath. And she said, It shall be well…”
Some thoughts on fear.
- All fears begin as untrue. Fear is ‘False Evidence Appearing Real.’
- When trouble comes, the only power that will deliver is in God. Ps 34:17, 19.
- Fear has the tendency to rob one of God’s blessings. John 10:10.
- Fear is intended to harass, oppress and torment man. Isaiah 43:1.
- The blame game will only aggravate the situation. Job 1:20.
How to deal with fear
- Walk by faith not by sight. Heb 10:35.
- Remember the promises of God and walk by it, no matter the circumstance ensure you have a scripture to say to the devil. Psalm 119:29, Isaiah 55:10-11.
- Don’t cease to follow God, stay with God in the midst of the fear. 2 Kings 4:30, Isaiah 26:3-4, 40:10.
- You must recognize the source of your fear. Fear is a spirit and Satan is its source. 2 Tim 1:7, Num 14:24.
- Do what you are afraid of doing. One sure way to overcome fear is to confront it by doing something positive. Dan 11:32
- Cast down your imagination of fear. Such imagination is Satan’s stronghold to hold you bound. 2 Cor 10:3-5.
- Have the fear of God; it will put away the fear of Satan. Psa 34:1-9.
- Be grateful and praise God for deliverance. 2 Kings 4:34.
Life is an entanglement of battles and one of such battles is fear. It is a constant daily fight. There will always be something to be worried about. If fear is your life style, then it is an attitude and you can rid it off today. If you overcome your fear today, you will have the need to draw from same source of power to overcome again. 1 John 5:4, “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”
Excerpts of the sermon titled: “Fear not, it is well” by the senior Pastor Alex Adegboye