Obedience is very important and has great long-lasting aftermath. Obedience is an act that most people take very trivial; be it obedience to God, parents, teachers or authority. Sometimes, obedience can be very difficult, and so, practising it as a lifestyle should be encouraged and taught. A lifestyle or attitude of obedience can be learnt by teaching.
Hebrews 5:8-14 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchizedek. The reason the Scripture is given to us is so we can be obedient in faith. The Bible says that Jesus Christ learnt obedience through the things He experienced. All of us disobey once in a while but if it becomes an attitude then you’ve got to readjust. After an act of disobedience, people claim that is who they are and they try to defend their lifestyle.
The Bible calls every unsaved individual a child of disobedience, Ephesians 2:2, “Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience.” That is disobedience by nature. No matter how morally right you may be as long as you are unsaved you are disobedient. Disobedience in the unsaved makes him stumble against Christ the chief corner stone. 1 Pet 2:6-7, “Wherefore also it is contained in the Scripture, Behold, I lay in Zion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner.”
We all need to learn obedience. Jesus learned obedience by the things which He suffered. We learn obedience from our parents by instructions, from our teachers by learning and from God by experience. Because man by default is disobedient, after giving your life to Christ, you need to unlearn rebellion and learn obedience, dethrone yourself and enthrone Jesus. Spirituality is measured by the degree and height of obedience. Obedience to God is a sign of spiritual maturity. God cannot use disobedient people. You cannot exercise spiritual authority unless you live in obedience, 2 Corinthians 10:6, “And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.”
What is Obedience of Faith
- Obedience of faith is from the heart – a willingness to do the will of God under any circumstance, 1 Kings 11:34, 15:1-5.
- It is walking before God in humility, that is, dethroning oneself and enthroning God. Humility says if God says it, you do it. Is 66:2, Gal 2:20
- It is a quality decision to obey every of God’s commandment because it is for our good and benefit.
Why It Is Hard For People To Obey God.
- Because they have never heard or known the voice of God, John 10:27. 2. Because they defy and just do what they want, this is called stubbornness. Let your stubbornness be towards the devil not God, 1 Sam 15:23. To be stubborn and adamant is to make an idol out of self.
- Because they don’t trust nor love God, John 14:23.
- Because they are people pleasers than God pleasers.
- Because they don’t know the danger of disobedient. If you die without Jesus you will go to hell no matter the amount of prayers at the graveside.
Disobedience damns people. As believers, we should obey in little things and in big things. It releases great grace into our lives. The entirety of our lives is about stewardship; stewardship of time, service to God and man, loyalty, possession. 1 Pet 4:10, “As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” A good steward is a man that does what his master says he should do. Stewardship is proportionally related to obedience. Stewardship is actually an act of obedience. Obedience is a seed that has great harvest as a reward. When you sow a seed of obedience you will get the reward. Obedience pays. God did not create you so that you can be your own lord. He did not create a world where He can be irrelevant. He created you to be your Lord and Saviour.
Excerpts of the message titled, “Obedience of Faith (1)” by Senior Pastor Alex Adegboye.