Pastor Alex Adegboye
TEXTS 1 Thess. 2:13
1 Thess. 2:13, “For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.”
Amos 3:7-8, “Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets. The lion hath roared, who will not fear? The Lord God hath spoken, who can but prophesy?”God works slowly but it is sure. Once the word of God has been unleashed, it will surely come to pass. Anything God wants to accomplish, He will do it through the spoken word. The word of God is sure. Any declaration coming from God is not void of power of fulfillment. It is settled and established. It might seem to be working slowly but it will surely come to pass.
Seven instances in the Scriptures where the word of God surely worked though it appeared slow:
- The prophecy of the seed of the woman in Gen 3. God spoke the word in Genesis and it was fulfilled in Matthew’s gospel after 4000 years of waiting. All kinds of forces rose to truncate it, but the word prevailed.
- The prophecy to Solomon. God told Solomon that He would take eleven tribes and leave him with one tribe to rule because of the sin he committed. After the death of Solomon, Rehoboam took over and through foolish and wrong counsel, the prophecy came to pass. 1 Kings 12:15
- The curse placed on Jericho. Anyone that would rebuild the city would do the foundation and the completion losing his first and last born. After 600 years, Hiel the Bethelite rebuilt it and he had to sacrifice his first and last born according to the word of the Lord. Josh 6:26
- The prophecy to Ahab and Jehoshaphat. The word was for Ahab though Jehoshaphat could have been killed seeing that he was dressed in the attire of Ahab. Eventually, he was spared. But Ahab was not spared as he was killed with an arrow shot at random by somebody. 1 kings 22.
- The deliverance of Daniel from the Lion’s den. While Solomon dedicated the temple, he prayed to God that the prayers offered in this temple will be granted. Daniel was in a foreign land and at the time of distress prayed facing Jerusalem and God heard and granted his prayers.
- The healing ministry of Jesus was a fulfillment of the prophecy by prophet Isaiah spoken several years ago before the birth of Jesus. Matt 8:16.
- Jesus cursed the fig tree and He wasn’t expecting His words to fall to the ground. The faith of God is the faith that speaks and expects it to come to pass. Mark 11:11-24.
Whatever God wants to do, He would first say it through an anointed servant and then He would do it. He doesn’t hide what He wants to do. It takes strength to fulfil your promises. That is why Joel 2:11 says “…He is strong that executeth His words:” God would always say it before He does it even though there are inhibiting forces all around. Nothing can stop God.
If God hasn’t said something, it’s not going to happen. God is not short of power to make His words come to pass. God is not afraid of the devil finding out or knowing about His plans. The devil has never for once defeated God. Nothing can hinder God. It could be delayed but never to be denied. All the demons in this world are not enough. God works surely according to His words. He works confidently.
If God has given you a word as He has given us a word concerning every situation in life from the Bible, you can rest assured that He will make it good. It is not for anything but because of his faithfulness to His words. Our God is a miracle God. He has never failed; He will never fail. He will do what He says he will do. He will do what He promised to do.
If you want to walk with God, you would have to learn these principles because His word is sure. Let us consider some of the principles:
- God watches over His words to make it come to pass. Jer 1:12
- God’s words are settled in heaven and it will be established on earth. Ps 119:89, Matt 18:18-19
- God’s word contains the power to bring itself to pass just as the fruit contains the seed. Lk 1:37
- God’s word through the power and the law that works it prevails over spiritual and physical forces. God upholds all things by the word of His power. Heb 1:3
- God is not a man. Man is limited and may renege. Num 23:19, 2 Cor 1:19-20
- God has chosen to bind and subject Himself to His words. Ps 138:2, 2 Pet 1:16-21
Each of our lives is like a script that is being written. God wants us to act the script in accordance to His sure word in order to bring His plans and purposes to pass. God intends to make us winners at the end of it all. We are winners. The Bible is a book of winners and it is for winners. Hallelujah! Glory be to God in the highest.