I have talked a lot about the name of Jesus and do believe you have heard a lot about this name too, but I am going to say something unique and different from all that has been said. There are names, and we all have names but there is one reserved in heaven and not given to any other man except the owner and Lord of all – Jesus Christ. This is the only name given amongst men by which we can be saved.
Act 4:12 And there is salvation in no other One; for there is no other name under Heaven given among men by which we must be saved.This is the name we are asked to deploy. You actually get answers to prayers through this name. You gain entrance into God’s presence through this name – Jesus. We ask and receive through this name. Every problem has a name and bows when the name of Jesus is mentioned.
John 14:13 And whatever you may ask in My name, that I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 15:16 You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and ordained you that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatever you shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it to you.
John 16:33 I have spoken these things to you so that you might have peace in Me. In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.
Over my years of walking with the Lord, I learnt that the reason some people’s prayers are not answered even when they call the name of Jesus is simply because they don’t have a proper and balanced understanding of the name Jesus. It is a serious indictment on the name if the name Jesus is called or mentioned on naughts or trivialities.
God’s first name in Hebrew is spelt YHWH. This four-lettername of God was revealed to Mosesin Exodus 3:13-14. This name was revered so much that the orthodox Jews regarded it as too sacred to be pronounced. The name was spelt without vowels to avoid being mentioned carelessly because of its preciousness and sacredness. In the Old Testament, if you mention it anyhow you could die. It was only mentioned once a year by the priest in the Holy of Holies. The name YHWH is now articulated as YAHWEH. This name is so sacred that it could only be written with a new pen and thereafter broken not to be used again. YAHWEH is God’s first and awesome name. It is so awesome because God is inside the name. YAHWEH portends God Himself – I AM THAT I AM.
When people become prosperous, they make God their mate and despise Him. You cannot despise God and use His name to pray and cast out devils.
1 Sam 2:30 Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me forever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honor me I will honor, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.
Deut 32:15 But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked. You grew fat, thick, and satisfied. Then he forsook God who made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
1 John 3:20-24 That if our heart accuses us, God is greater than our heart and knows all things.
Beloved, if our heart does not accuse us, we have confidence toward God.
And whatever we ask, we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
And this is His commandment, that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
And he who keeps His commandment dwells in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit which He gave to us.
There are two conditions in 1 John 3:20-24 that determine whether we get answers to our prayers or not:
- That we believe in the name of the son Jesus Christ.
- That we love one another as He has commanded.
Why Should You Believe In The Name Of Jesus?
- Believing in the name unites you with the power in the name.
- Believing in the name helps carry out the commandment of God.
- Believing in the name gives power to do everything the word has asked you to do.
- Believing in the name opens doors to answered prayers.
Act 3:12, 13, 16 And seeing this, Peter answered the people, Men, Israelites, why do you marvel at this? Or why do you stare at us, as though we had made this man to walk by our own power or holiness?
The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His son Jesus, whom you delivered up, denying Him in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to let Him go.
And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, this one whom you see and know, His name made firm. And the faith which came through Him has given him this perfect soundness before you.
The apostle saw and wrought many miracles because they didn’t take glory rather promoted the name as been responsible for all the miracles. If you have faith in the name you will have outstanding miracles. God has invested the entirety of heaven in the name – Jesus Christ.
Why did He do this?
- Because the fullness of the Godhead is in Him, Col 1:19, 1 John 2:23. If you believe in the father alone you don’t have the son, but if you believe in the Son, then you will have them all; Father-Son-Holy Spirit.
- The wealth of all eternity is in the name, Eph 1:10, John 3:16, 1 John 5:11 and Rom 8:32.
The Greatness of This Name
William Shakespeare once said greatness comes in three fold: Conferment – Inheritance – Achievement. All these three forms of greatness did God bestow on Jesus Christ the son.
- The Father Conferred greatness on Jesus and His name. God has made this name greater than any situation. The Father bestowed Omnipotence (All Power) upon Him. Where is the power? It is in the name Jesus Christ, Phil 2:9-11.
- His name is great because He got it by Inheritance, Hebrews 1:4. You don’t work nor labour for inheritance. It is yours! Because Jesus inherited this greatness, it is yours also by inheritance only if you believe in it.
- By conquest (Achievement): He fought for it, Col 2:15. At first, man was the greatest on earth, after his fall to satan, the devil became the greatest on earth. After the advent of Jesus and the everlasting work of redemption, man regained his greatness, Heb 2:14.
The name of Jesus doesn’t just work; it needs faith to make it work. You don’t need to howl or scream out the name to make it work; just say it in faith. Each time you call His name, the quest leaves your hand; He takes it and presents it to the Father, 1 Tim 2:5. You need faith to make the name work for you. You need it to access God, blessings, miracles, deliverance, healing, salvation and much more. Only use the name wisely. Use it from the heart and use it with understanding also.
Thank you Lord for the great name – Jesus Christ.
God bless you.
Jesus is not afraid of a fight.