Man naturally is a disobedient creature. Obedience is very important and has great long-lasting aftermath. Obedience is something we take very trivial be it obedience to God, our parents or authority. Sometimes, obedience can be difficult so also living it as a life style that is why we should learn or be taught about it. A life style or attitude can be learnt by teaching.
Rom 16:24-27 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
Now to him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of
Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
But now is made manifest, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.
Heb 5:8-14 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
Called of God a high priest after the order of Melchizedek.
Of whom we have many things to say and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
The reason the scripture is given to us is so we can be obedient in faith. The bible told us that Jesus Christ learnt obedience through the things He experienced. All of us disobey once in a while but if it becomes an attitude then you’ve got to go through this sermon. After an act of disobedience, people claim that is who they are by way of defending their life style. You’ve got to change if this is your life style.
- The bible calls every unsaved individual a child of disobedience, Eph 2:2 wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience. This is disobedience by nature. No matter how morally right you may be as long as you are unsaved you are disobedient. Disobedience in the unsaved makes him stumble against Christ the chief corner stone. 1 Pet 2:6-7 wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Zion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner.
- We all need to learn obedience, Heb 5:8 though being a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. We learn obedience from our parents by instructions, from our teachers by learning and from God by experience. Because man by default is disobedient, after giving your life to Christ, you need to unlearn rebellion and learn obedience, dethrone yourself and enthrone Jesus.
- Obedience is a natural habit that we all need to have.
- Disobedience is a sin. Once you choose to disobey you commit a sin.
- You are as spiritual as your life of obedience. Spirituality is measured by the degree and height of obedience. Obedience to God is a sign of spiritual maturity. God cannot use disobedient people. You cannot exercise spiritual authority unless you live in obedience, 2 Cor 10:6 and having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled. You can exercise vengeance on disobedience when you obedience to God is complete. You cannot cast out devils (disobedience) if you are not obedient to God’s word. Disobedience makes you vulnerable to satanic attack.
- Every instruction and commandment of God is not grievous, Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Anything God says you should do is easy. It is easier to pray than not pray and difficult not to pray than to pray.
What is Obedience of Faith
- Obedience of faith is from the heart – a willingness to do the will of God under any circumstance, 1 Kings 11:34, 15:1-5. David and his generations were blessed because he was obedient to God, 2 Chron 21:7.
- It is walking before God in humility, that is, dethroning oneself and enthroning God. Humility says if God says it who are my? Is 66:2, Gal 2:20
- It is a quality decision to obey every of His commandment because it is for my good. His is not grievous with His commandments
Why It Is Hard For People To Obey God
- Because they have never heard or known the voice of God, John 10:27.
- Because they defy and just do what they want, this is called stubbornness. Let your stubbornness be towards the devil not God, 1 Sam 15:23. To be stubborn and adamant is to make an idol out of self.
- Because they don’t trust nor love God, John 14:23.
- Because they are people pleasers than God pleasers.
- Because they don’t know the danger of disobedient. If you die without Jesus you will go to hell no matter the amount of prayers at your graveside. Disobedience damns people.
Obey in small things and in all things. It releases great grace into our lives. The entirety of our lives is about stewardship; stewardship of time, obedience, loyalty, possession, 1 Pet 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. A good steward is a man that does what his master says he should do. Stewardship is proportionally related to obedience. Stewardship is actually an act of obedience.
Obedience is a seed that has great harvest as a reward. When you sow a seed of obedience you will get the reward. Obedience pays. God did not create you so that you can be your own lord. He did not create a world where He can be irrelevant. He created you to lord it over you.
Apostles of Obedience
1. Joshua and Caleb, Deut 1:36&38, Num 32:8-15, Josh 32:12. Deut 1:36 Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh; he shall see it, and to him will I give the land that he hath trodden upon, and to his children, because he hath wholly followed the LORD.
Deut 1:38 But Joshua the son of Nun, which standeth before thee, he shall go in thither: encourage him: for he shall cause Israel to inherit it.
2. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, Dan 3:16-18 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
3. Jesus Christ, Phil 2:8 Having become human, he stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. He didn’t claim special privileges. Instead, he lived a selfless, obedient life and then died a selfless, obedient death–and the worst kind of death at that: a crucifixion. (The Message Bible)
Disobedience in the eyes of God is a big thing. It can cost a life, an opportunity or a blessing.