Pastor Alex Adegboye
Let’s talk about love. The bible is a story book of love – the love of God for mankind. The bible is a gift to man. Everything about God is love and He never fails. You can only do what you understand. If you understand love properly you will do it; you will live it. When you understand love, you will be a powerful force on earth and an effective tool in the hands of God.
2Tim 3:16-17 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
The scriptures have the breath of God upon it. If you want a change in your life use the scriptures. If you want the benefits of the scriptures, let it speak to your heart. Let it speak God – who is the true love into your heart, then you can understand the true life of love, live it and do it.
1 Cor 13:1-3 “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I have become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have prophecies, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so as to move mountains, and do not have charity, I am nothing. And though I give out all my goods to feed the poor, and though I deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, I am profited nothing.” (KJV)
1 Cor 13:1-3 “If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.” (Message)
Love: is something if you don’t have makes you nothing. Whatever your status, knowledge, wealth, affluence or goodwill; if you don’t have love, in the sight of God you are nothing. A life without love is summarized as a useless emptiness and an annoying noise.
Note the Following Points
- When you begin to love God you get to know God more. God promised us the content of Eph 3:16-19 because of its quantum importance. So, pray these scriptures because love too needs to be prayed. Eph 3:16-19 “That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.”
- When you know the love of God, then you will know that God truly loves you.
- When you know the love of God, it means you have come to the class and level of God.
- When you know the power of God’s love, it will make you zealous for God.
- When you know the power of God’s love, it will keep you from sin.
- When you know the power of God’s love, blessings will flow into your life.
The word charity means Agape – which is the Greek word for love. Four words are used to express love at different dimensions. These are –
- Eros – this means sexual love (it is taken from the word erotic). This kind of love seeks fulfillment of its own desires. It is self-seeking love; selfish love.
- Stergo – this is love between parents and children or members of same family. It is love borne out of consanguinity. It is also a demonstration of love between a nation and its leader, a man and his pet.
- Phileo – this brotherly love; love between friends. It is based on mutual affection. It speaks about friendship. It is reciprocated love: I love you because you love me. It can easily be disappointed.
- Agape – this is the love of God: love of the spirit and the fruit of the spirit. This is the highest form of love and it is found only in God. Agape has no strings attached. It does not look for what it can get but what it can give. This is the love demonstrated in John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
The bible instructs that we yearn for this kind of love (Agape); 1Co 14:1 “Go after a life of love as if your life depended on it – because it does.” (Message)
In our subsequent studies, we will be looking at the characteristics of love in depth. God bless you as you study with us.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
If Agape is the basis of marriage and friendship, then, that relationship will be eternal and a heaven on earth. This love is poured in our hearts by the Holy Spirit; so, acknowledge it and live it.
Rom 5:5 “And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.”