Pastor (Mrs.) Yinka Adeyemi
James 1:13-16 “Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren”.
Matt 4:1-11” Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred. And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him”.
Any temptation that comes our way is in any of the three categories of temptation that came Jesus’ way shortly after He concluded His forty days fast. Once God allows a temptation is because you can overcome it.
According to the scriptures above, we can deduce these points:
- Jesus was led into the wilderness
- Jesus was led to fast
- Jesus was led by the Spirit to be tempted
I want you to understand the following –
- Every man is tempted when he is drawn away i.e. dragged away. To be drawn away means you were standing before been drawn. You are actually tempted when you are doing the right thing. Jesus was tempted because He was doing the right thing. He was tempted when He abstained from food, so was Eve when she was asked not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The devil tempts you when you are doing the right thing you.
- The idea of temptation is to take away your attention from God, 2 Cor 11:13-14 “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light”.
Temptation is aimed at making you change your mind and focus on what is right. When the devil wants to tempt you he will first whisper enticing words into your heart and thoughts, and then negotiate with you like he did to Eve to make you shift grounds.
- Lust – this is uncontrolled desire. Lust is conceived when the desire remains uncontrolled. When you cannot control your appetite for food and other pleasures it becomes lust. Covetousness also is lust. Lust comes by thought. When lust is conceived in you get rid of it. Lust is conceived when a wrong thought is ruminated over and again. Because we live in the flesh, at one time or the other we stand the chance of having ungodly desires, but whenever these desires come get rid of them quickly. Let’s consider the following points on lust:
- Lust cannot be conceived without your consent. The power of choice has been put before you. Jesus the second Adam had this power and used it to overcome temptation, but the first Adam used his to yield to sin and fell. Deu 30:19 “I call Heaven and earth to record today against you. I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing. Therefore, choose life, so that both you and your seed may live”.
- The choice to fall is still yours.
- Every desire can be controlled.
- It is very important that every one of us should learn to hear the voice of God. If Jesus had not known what God has said in the scriptures, He would have fallen. If you are ignorant of the scriptures you will fall to temptation, Rom 8:14 “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God”. Satan tempts us when he knows we are ignorant of the scriptures, 2Co 2:11 “so that we should not be overreached by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his devices”. Be wise because a wise person knows what to do when tempted, 1Pe 5:8 “Be sensible and vigilant, because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking someone he may devour”. MKJV
- Don’t allow your flesh to control your life to make decisions for you. Jesus was hungry but did not allow the passion of the flesh at that time for food to control His decision. When you are in the flesh you are pleasing the devil. When you are making decisions out of the passion of the flesh you are working against God, Rom 8:5-9 “For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his”.
- The first temptation from Adam to Jesus had to do with food; this same tactics and pattern of temptation is what the devil still uses against us today. Food is the strongest desire in man. You can live without most pleasures for a long time but difficult to live without food for a long time. Food is not bad but the devil can use it if it is a weakness in you to tempt you. Learn to fast, when you fast you starve your flesh but feed your spirit. Life is more than food. Fast! Heb 12:16 “lest there be any fornicator, or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright”.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
If you cannot handle food you cannot be able to handle any temptation. Deprive and discipline your flesh, and make a choice to agree with God, Gal 5:16 “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh”.
God bless you.