PHOTIZO is a Greek word which means light. It is a condition of divine awareness, when there is divine illumination. There are two dimensions to life: physical, where we see things in their physical state; and a spiritual dimension where angels and spirit beings exist. With divine illumination we are able to see spiritual realities. Photizo can also mean the degree of visibility of the environment.
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. Gen 1:1-3
Why were the earth formless, empty and dark and the Heaven not so? Because God resided in Heaven prior to creation, and where the Spirit of God dwelt light can be found there and every good thing of life.
WHY IS THE LIGHT OF GOD IMPORTANT?
- The presence of God [Light] in anything makes a lot of difference. It dispels darkness and shapes deformity.
- Because there is a lot of darkness and uncertainties. The future cannot be predicted.
- There is a lot of deception.
A lot of Christians live their lives without direction. They live life like groping in the dark. Life’s direction only comes from the light offered in Christ. Light always chases darkness away.
WHAT CAN LIGHT BE LIKENED TO?
- Direction. Psa 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Neh 9:12 And You led them in the day by a cloudy pillar, and in the night by a pillar of fire, to give them light in the way in which they should go. Isa 42:16 And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
- Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven. Eph 5:14. Therefore he says, “Awake, sleeping ones! And arise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light.” Psa 56:13.
- Luk 2:30-32 For my eyes have seen Your Salvation which You have prepared before the face of all the peoples, a light for revelation to the nations, and the glory of Your people Israel. Isaiah 60:1-3
- Psa 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple. Pro 29:13.
- Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
- Ecc 2:13 Then I saw that wisdom excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness.
The most important representation of light in the bible is the person of Jesus Christ. John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke again to them, saying, I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
He commands His light into life’s darkness. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. 2 Cor 4:6-7. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. John 9:5 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. John 12:46
THE BENEFITS OF THIS LIGHT
- It gives a rich and satisfying life. John 10:10, 8:12.
- It helps overcome darkness. John 1:5, 12:35.
- It gives us vision and clarity of purpose. Psa 36:9.
- It keeps and preserves us. 2 Cor 4:8
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THIS LIGHT
- Light always shine. If you have it, you will shine. Matt 5:16, Eph 5:9
- If you have the light, you will only do what is good, right and true. Eph 5:10
- If you have the light, you will only seek God’s will.
- If you have the light, you will be a true worshipper.
- If you have the light, you will always give thanks to God for everything.
The light of Christ preserves us, helps us overcome darkness, and gives us abundant life. Only Christians have this light in them, unbelievers don’t. You can partake of the benefits of this light by giving your life to Christ. Rom 8:34, Heb 7:35, 1 Pet 1:18-19.