Pastor Ayo Fatokun
Isa 51:1-3 “Listen to me, pursuers of righteousness; seekers of Jehovah: Look to the rock from which you were cut, and to the hole of the pit from which you were dug. Look to Abraham your father, and to Sarah who bore you; for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him. For Jehovah shall comfort Zion; He will comfort all her waste places; and He will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of Jehovah. Joy and gladness shall be found in it, thanksgiving and the voice of melody”.
Jesus is the rock out of which you were cut; therefore, remember where you are coming from. God has made man in His own image and given him dominion. The devil sold out a dummy to Eve and she fell to it because she didn’t remember who she was. A river that forgets its source will dry up. If you forget God your source you will dry up. Joshua set up a stone to constantly remind the children of Israel where they were coming from, Josh 4:5-6. Whatever the circumstances you going through, you must never forget God.
Let us consider the story of those who remembered there source:
- The prodigal son, Luk 15:17-20 “And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father abound in loaves, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, Father, I have sinned against Heaven and before you and am no more worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants. And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him”.
- The story of Jabez, 1Chron 4:9-10 “And Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. And his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bore him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that You would bless me indeed, and make my border larger, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, so that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he asked”.
- The story of Jesus, Matt 4:13.
When Should You Remember?
- When you are tempted to look back, Luk 17:32 “Remember Lot’s wife”.
- In the face of temptation to sin, Gen 3:6 “And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasing to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make wise, she took of its fruit, and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate”.
- When the circumstances around you make you question God’s love, 1Cor 13:12 “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall fully know even as I also am fully known”.
- When you become desperate for answer to your prayers, Psa 61:2 “From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I”.
- When the future looks uncertain and its fear grips your heart, Deu 8:2 “And you shall remember all the way which Jehovah your God led you these forty years in the wilderness in order to humble you, to prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not”.
Who Should Remember?
Every child of God is called to remember, Isa 51:1 “Listen to me, pursuers of righteousness; seekers of Jehovah: Look to the rock from which you were cut, and to the hole of the pit from which you were dug”.
How Should You Remember?
- Remind yourself who God is, 2 Cor 1:3-4 “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort, He comforting us in all our trouble, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in every trouble, through the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God”.
- Remind yourself His specific word about you, Jer 29:11 “For I know the purposes which I am purposing for you, says Jehovah; purposes of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope”.
- Maintain your walk and integrity before God, Psa 26:1 “Judge me, O Jehovah; for I have walked in my truthfulness. I have trusted also in Jehovah; I shall not slide”.
- Stop roaming around, stay where you are planted and feed on the word of God you are given there; Joh 6:66-69 “From this time many of His disciples went back into the things behind, and walked no more with Him. Then Jesus said to the Twelve, Do you also wish to go away? Then Simon Peter answered Him, Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the Words of eternal life. And we have believed and have known that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God”.
- Be grateful to God in spite of your circumstances, Hab 3:17-19 “Though the fig tree shall not blossom, and fruit is not on the vines; the labor of the olive fails, and the fields yield no food. The flock is cut off from the fold, and no herd is in the stalls; yet I will rejoice in Jehovah, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Jehovah the Lord is my strength, and He will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and He will make me to walk on my high places”.
Benefits of Remembering the Rock
- It will keep your head above water; it will help you to stand firm.
- It will enable you enforce Christ victory on the cross.
- It will keep you away from sin.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
But you shall remember Jehovah your God…, Deu 8:18
May you never forget your source in Jesus name, Amen.
God bless you.