PUT THE WORD OF GOD FIRST – Pastor Alex Adegboye
2Thes 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you.
The word of God is everything for the Christian. The bible contains everything God want to do in and for your life. Your attitude determines the operations of the word of God in your life. Martin Luther said “My conscience is captive to the word of God alone”.
A man who is willing to preach the word must first be a captive to the word of God. You can’t teach the word of God by knowing, but by the right attitude and revelation. I want to help you to have the right attitude to God’s word. This is by putting the word first. It should be the first thing that occurs to you. The first thing you consult when you are in pain. Let the word of God control every aspect of your life. Give God’s word the right of way in your life, 2 Thes 3:1. The word of God is the first and final authority in the issues of life. If you don’t put the word first, you can’t preach it first. This is what I refer to as the right attitude. Every sickness can be healed through the word; more so, your attitude is a determinant to the healing process. The word of God must be your first counselor. You’ve got to change your attitude by putting the word of God first.
Jos 1:6-9 Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I swore unto their fathers to give them. Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Here, God promised Joshua to be with him like He was with Moses his predecessor only if he puts the word first by meditating on it day and night. Just give the word the rightful place in your life, that is, the first.
Pro 4:18-23 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shines more and more to the perfect day. The way of the wicked is as darkness; they know not at what they stumble. My son, listen to my words; bow down your ear to my sayings. Let them not depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and health to all his flesh. Keep your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
To attend to God’s word is to put it first. If you attend to the word, you can never fail. The word has the power in itself to bring it to pass.
WHY SHOULD I PUT THE WORD FIRST?
- Because God says so, Jn 1:1. It is the original seed with which everything came to be in this world, Col 1:18.
- Because it is your life, Deu 32:46-47. You must have a Bible. It is the determinant of your life.
- Because it is the ultimate wisdom, Pro 4:7, 1 Cor 6:2, 2:5, 1:17, 2 Cor 2:17, Pro 8:1decision.2, 24:3-7.
- Because it is the only stable thing in an unstable world. It is the only thing you can trust, Ps 119:89. It is reliable!
- Because it is the only source of victory over sin and satan, Ps 119:9 &11.
- Because God speaks to you from His word. Until you give the word attention then will God speak to you, Exo 3:1-6.
- So that you will not walk in darkness, Ps 119:105.
- So that you will profit with it. The word of God profit those who put it first, Is 48:17, James 2:14, 1 Tim 4:5.
HOW DO YOU PUT IT FIRST?
- What do you understand it is saying? What is the Bible saying about your situation? There is no condition on earth the Bible cannot solve.
- What will Jesus do in this circumstance (WWJD)?
- What does Jesus expect me to do in this circumstance?
- What can God do about this situation? What can’t He do about my situation?
- Make up your mind to put God’s word first. It starts with a desire, determination and decision.
To put it first –
Meditate on it,
Then do what it says.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
God is too serious to meddle with unseriousness. God’s things are so precious that He only gives them to serious people.
God bless you.